Economic Justice Australia has made recommendations to Treasury for the 2022–23 Federal Budget, calling for a number of reforms including:
- permanently increase social security income support payment rates
- revoke newly arrived residents waiting periods for Special Benefit, Family Tax Benefit and carer payments
- provide New Zealand citizens living in Australia with access to Special Benefit, and extend the list of temporary visa sub-classes that attract Special Benefit
- amend social security debt waiver provisions to address anomalies preventing waiver of debts for victims/survivors of domestic violence
- reform DSP eligibility criteria to address systemic barriers to access for vulnerable cohorts
- cease compulsory social security income management
- increase funding for community legal centres providing specialist social security legal help.